Friday, February 4, 2011

Connecting the Comet64 To Telnet BBS's #c64

I spent some time yesterday hacking away on my new Comet64. It works great as a virtual 1541. The ability to save files "in the cloud" works as advertised. However, the website for the Comet64 (commodoreserver.com) states that the device can be used to connect to any IP address, any port. That intrigued me. The ability to connect to old style BBS's would be fantastic. My RR-NET is fun, but I can't use the old term programs I enjoyed back in the day. Transferring files via Punter or XModem would be a kick, too. I Googled how to get telnet working with the Comet64 and came up with nothing.

So I  rolled up the sleeves and gave it a shot and got it to work! Here's how to do it.

First of all, the Comet64 gets a local IP address from your DHCP server. However, you have to manually program it to connect to a fixed destination. By default, it connects to commodoreserver.com, port 1541 to use the virtual 1541 software. To get it to work with a BBS, you must program the Comet64 with the destination IP address and port number.

Here's the overview of getting it all to work:

1. Flash the Comet64 with the new destination IP address and port number.
2. Load a terminal program, set the BPS rate to 2400 and hit return a few times.

There are two ways to accomplish step one -- using a small PC program to make the changes for you (the easiest and most reliable way) or using the CHAT program from Commodoreserver.com. This works well, but sometimes it can insert rogue characters that will have to be inserted again to make work. I will go more into that in a second.

If you have a PC, download the WIZ1xxSR Configuration Tool V3.0.2. Plug your Comet64 into your 64 and make sure it is on the network.

Launch the configuration tool and press search. If it can't find it, use the DIRECT IP SEARCH and put in the IP address of your device. You can find this in the DHCP section of your router under DHCP clients.



Once it finds it, change the server IP and port to the BBS you want to contact. Press SETTING and it will push the config to your device. Hit exit.

Now on your 64, just load whatever terminal server you want to use. I have been using CCGMS and Handyterm to great success. Set the BAUD rate to 2400 and hit enter a few times. This can be a little tricky to get the timing right. I also found on certain systems, you have to go to Ascii to get it to answer and then you can switch back to Commodore Graphics.

The second way to change the config on the Comet64 is on the 64 directly. Download the CHAT program from Commodoreserver.com at http://www.commodoreserver.com/PublicDisks.asp. Run it and enter this:













Wait a few seconds and then hit RUN/STOP and NEW. Then load your terminal program and set the BAUD rate to 2400.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = IP address of BBS

yyy = port number


Sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error to get a BBS to respond. A few were very easy and some were downright difficult and didn't work. 

After you're done you will need to set the Comet64 back to point to Commodoreserver.com to use the V-1541 software. This can be done easily by running the V-1541CFG program that came on the floppy with the Comet64. The other way is to program it manually. Use the settings in the screenshot below.




Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Any time you manually reprogram something you take the risk of making the device unusable. Please do this at your own risk. I assume no responsibility if you damage your Comet64.

10 comments:

  1. BTW - Greg from Commodoreserver helped me out a great deal when working this out. Thanks, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've added you into my RSS-feeds. I, too, want to get the C64 back into my life. This is a great contribution toward that end. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get the ip address for sites that use
    this format? eaglewing2010.dyndns.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fastest way is to drop to DOS prompt on your PC and type "ping eaglewing2010.dyndns.org". It should then send packets to the IP address and reveal the IP address.

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep that did it thanks I was tiring the ping in
    the Wiz program forgot all about Dos..lol
    Now to give them a try on my 64/128 in both
    mode's..

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a way to get CCGMS or HandyTerm onto a physical 1541 diskette? I'm assuming that is what you did to connect in to your favorite BBS.

    If there is a way to download a copy using a program from the PC to the 1541 that would be great. I've got the WIZ100SR seeing the Comet64 device.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure about a program to move PC to 1541. I use an uIEC. I can copy anything (d64, prg file, etc) to an SD CARD on the PC and then just pop it into the uIEC on the 64 and load it from there.

    http://store.go4retro.com/products/uIEC_SD.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just ordered a Comet64. While I already have an RR-Net cartridge, I'm hoping this will allow me to use S2E software on the c64 (which is not compatible with RR-Net).

    I'm also hoping that I can use this with my VIC-20 along with the 80-column Mighty Term program for it.

    It looks like one can write the IP configuration settings according to this web page:

    https://www.commodoreserver.com/BlogEntryView.asp?EID=E32942483EA9411DAA21A096AD6AEDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hopefully, I can just write configuration commands from the VIC-20 to Comet64. I'll probably write a menu program that contains name and IP addresses of various BBS servers.

      Who knows? Maybe I'll be able to telnet to a shell account on my Linux laptop from my VIC-20 :)

      Delete